Postby 77blazerdriver » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:37 am

Your Name:
Rhandi

Car's Name:
Stella

Model/Year:
2012 Volkswagen Passat 3.6

How long have you had your car?
Ironically, July 12th will be one year since I finally found her.

Is there anything unique about the history of this car?
Where do I start? Lol. She completed my off and on 3 year search for the perfect Opera Red Passat: black interior, sunroof, low miles, and the DSG I didn't know I wanted. Given the color was only available from 12-14, I had my work cut out for me. Well, and that pesky Takata recall didn’t help any.

Having finally tracking down a few Passats, and traveling as far as San Jose and Portland, Oregon, only to be disappointed with every single one, I finally found Stella at Harrold Ford of all places. On the verge of throwing in the towel, I decided to give AutoTrader.com a final look, and low and behold a 2012 Opera Red Passat 3.6 had just been listed. After fighting some initial hesitation, and not wanting to waste more time on disappointments, someone convinced me to give it a chance. I called a contact at Harrold Ford, asked them to put it aside, got there by 6pm, did my test drive, and finished up paperwork by 8pm. I’m not sure who was more surprised; me or the salesman, given it was traded in the day before and only listed that morning.

In the end, I got my 2012 Opera Red Passat for a reasonable price, in amazing condition, with low miles, and oddly enough it was a Niello-maintained vehicle prior to trade in.

Why did you choose to purchase this car?
Honestly? The color. Well, and I’ve always wanted a Passat. I saw my first Opera Red B7 back in 2012 when it passed me on the freeway on my way home from class. It was love at first sight, and I decided right there that would be my next car. Even though I had to settle on beige interior and a non TDI, the V6 was a nice bonus!

Does anything in particular influence the direction you take when modifying your car?
I mod for myself. I like a clean and simple look that flows nicely. The way I see it, you're always going to have people who love or hate what you do, so save yourself some stress, and build for YOU.
Plus, having a car this color really influences a lot of what I can do. Lol.

What would you do to the car if money were no object?
Honestly, this vehicle is everything I imagined, and more, but if I had to choose, I’d love to throw a supercharger on her, upgrade to an all black SEL or Sport interior with 2016 interior trim and RNS-510 Nav System, full Borla B7 exhaust (since they finally have one), respray with a clearbra, multiple wheel options to suite my mood, and lastly, a B7 Opera Red TDI so she can have a friend, and I could have a mpg friendly vehicle. Lol.

Who has been your biggest critic of this project?
Hands down, myself. I'm my worst critic sometimes. Lol

Personal Message or Special Thanks:
First, I’d like to thank SacWater for deeming Stella worthy of COTM. I may not see it, but I'm glad someone does. Lol
Next, I’d like to thank Kyle Belchem for being a great friend and always keeping Stella clean and shiny. If you haven't had Kyle detail your car, you need to get on that; Everyone at Niello Volkswagen for always taking care of my babies, being great people, and for letting me take over their shop so I could shoot some photos; Devon Newby for always being there and for indulging in my impracticable mod ideas, and all the other awesome friends whose names escape me at the moment. You know who you are.
Lastly, I’d like to thank my amazing partner in crime, Mike, for pushing me to take a chance on a certain Passat, and always supporting me regardless of the situation; even if our tastes my differ at times.
Oh yeah, how could I forget! Thank you to Stella's previous owner, whoever you are, for taking such great care of her, and allowing me the chance to find her.

Car Details

Interior:
2015 GLI Steering wheel w/custom B7 badging
Full deAutoLED lighting upgrade
Euro headlight switch
B7 Sport Pedals

Stereo:
Stock fender audio with RNS-315, though I wouldn't turn down an RNS- 510. Just putting that out there.

Exterior Modifications:

LLumar Pinnacle 30 Tint, 2 satin silver SacWater sticker (you know, for cool points), Custom stitched AutoBrahn hood bra (in the mail as we speak), factory rear spoiler.

Wheels/Tires:
“35th Anniversary” GTI wheels aka Watkins Glen wheels, with 10mm spacers in the front, 15mm in the rear, and matching spare wheel. As for tires, it came with a brand new set of Good Years, which I kept, because why replace something brand new. Lol

Brakes:
Stock.

Engine:
3.6 Baby!

Exhaust:
Stock with a resonator delete.

Suspension:
WRD Advantage street Coilovers
APR (ne-Hotchkis) 27mm rear swaybar

Lighting/Electrical:
Helix Bi-xenon headlights (similar to Option2 but pre-option anything)
deAutoLED LED Foglight upgrade
OE Reversing camera
Full complement of deAutoLED bulbs in the tails; OE LED license lights
Touareg Trunk Lighting Boost with deAutoLED bulbs

Future Mods:
APR DSG reprogram and Software upgrade, VW Thunder wheels (one day), Borla Exhaust, Bags (in the trunk holding groceries), Black Carpet

Will
05 B5.5 Passat wagon 4 motion 1.8T
[O===\x/===O] 90 Jetta AWW 1.8T/02J swap - Way better then the old 8V auto combo.
[O=o=\X/=o=O] 91 GTI 8v t-red - Sold
[__]==\X/==[__] 91 GLI 16v t-red - sold
97 Golf Gl Black - sold

jreed1337
sacwater regular
sacwater regular

Re: July 2017 - Rhandi's B7 Passat

Postby jreed1337 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:16 pm

3.6 + DSG?

nice ride. :thumbup:
1+3+3=7

cubedfreek
sacwater noob
sacwater noob

Postby cubedfreek » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Woohoo Rhandi!! Way to go!

Oh, and thanks for the shoutout :D

catz1845
sacwater lurker
sacwater lurker

Postby catz1845 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Congratulations :-) super clean and very Shiny

8v fury
sacwater is my life
sacwater is my life

Postby 8v fury » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:36 am

Congrats
It's their new 2.5L diesel, direct injection, 5 cyl, 25 valve, twincharged, hybrid, 500 HP, 11ty billion torkz, 10,000 RPM, AWD, 6spd manual/ 7spd DSG, 75mpg, sedan/wagon/hatchback that goes vrooom vroooom vroooooooom

Hei Hei
Tressure

Postby Hei Hei » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:53 am

Congrats Rhandi!!! Thanks for the shout out, and I'm glad I can be of service. I'm privileged to work on her, the color is so dynamic.
Imported from Africa

iwanaleya
Co-Vice President

Postby iwanaleya » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:23 pm

-Brian
R13 5
╚╬╬╝

DucMike
President

Postby DucMike » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Congratulations on a well earned CoTM. I truly love the outcome with this (though I guess you could say I am a bit biased) and I think it is amazing in its subtlety. I have always preferred my car more tasteful styled vs. the whole 'look at me!' mode of build. The devil is in the details and this car has quite a few that escape initial inspection. I don't think I would change anything.
Congrats! :thumbup:
Mike S. :roll: (and where the hell is my smilee?)
2008 .:R32
2003 GTI 20th A.E.
1996 GTI VR6
1991 B3 Variant
1976 Rabbit
1966 T3 Variant

"What; was she Australian or something?"
"No, she was white."

5doorGLS
sacwater diehard
sacwater diehard

Postby 5doorGLS » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:48 pm

Great looking car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself." ~ Ronald Reagan

2SLOA2
sacwater lurker
sacwater lurker

Postby 2SLOA2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks for all the love everyone! Is it bad I just realized my responses to this never took? Anyway. Lol. She may not win at shows, but she's a blast to drive and I love her. :)
Ms.Rhandi
2012 B7 Passat 3.6
2001 MK4 Jetta GLS
"Did you just flip them off?”
"What!? I would never! I simply waved; though I may have been short a finger or two. Ok, fine; four fingers if we're counting here”.

Return to “Car Of The Month”